Good afternoon – I wanted to bring you up to speed on what’s happening at your Redwood City Public Library (and remind you that Redwood City’s library is ranked TOP in all of California!).
First, here’s a brief selection of events for February:
• Crafty Tales: Saturday February 11, 11 am, at the Downtown Library – enjoy great stories and great crafts
• League of Intrepid Paper Sculptors: Saturday February 11, 1-5 pm, at the Downtown Library – learn to make some cool origami
• Music, Games & Stories in English and Spanish: Saturday February 11, 11 am, at the Redwood Shores Branch Library AND Saturday, February 18, 11 am, at the Downtown Library – join Valéria for music & stories, perfect for kids aged 1-4
• Comedy, magic, juggling & amazing tricks with Owen Baker-Flynn: Wednesday February 15, 7 pm, at the Downtown Library AND Saturday February 18, 11 am, at the Redwood Shores Branch Library
• Seaside Storytime: Saturday February 25, 11 am at the Downtown Library AND Saturday February 25, 1:30 pm, at the Redwood Shores Branch Library – learn about animals from our own bay with the Marine Science Institute
Another valuable resource at the Library is BookFLIX – an exciting new way for children to experience books and help early readers practice essential pre-reading and reading skills! Courtesy of the California State Library, BookFLIX is an online literacy resource that pairs classic video storybooks with related nonfiction eBooks to help spark a love of reading and learning. BookFLIX is available at www.redwoodcity.org/library/kids – click on BookFLIX.
Homework help for students! The Library offers free online help from expert tutors every day from 1 – 10 pm, at www.redwoodcity.org/library/kids – click on Free Live Online Homework Help. This service is sponsored by Friends of the Redwood City Public Library.
And, the Library provides a fun and supportive place to do homework and skillbuilding activities for grades 1 – 5, at the Downtown Library and all branch libraries, most afternoons, Monday through Thursday. The schedule is available at www.redwoodcity.org/library/kids/homework.html.
With these and many other great programs PLUS all the books, CDs, and DVDs one could want, it’s no surprise that the Redwood City Public Library has again been awarded the coveted “5 Star Rating” from the Library Journal Index of Public Library Service. This means that the Redwood City Public Library is the highest-rated library of any size in the state, among every California city and county library system. There are only two 5 Star libraries in California, and just twenty 5 Star rated libraries in the entire country!